Earlier this week I had the pleasure of going to CS Presents You Lucky B****rds- Why we’d love to be starting out right now. With speakers like Patrick Collister, Steve Henry and Sir John Hegarty it was an advertising student’s dream lecture. Here are some nuggets of information I thought were worth sharing.
Advertising can change the world
- “We’re in the business of making brands responsible.” Collister
- For example, Chipotle’s recent ad, Back to the Start.
- “Whatever creative pursuit you’re doing, you’re actively trying to change the world.” Hegarty
- It is up to each individual to decide if that is for the better.
Have a point of view
- What do I want to change?
- What do I believe in?
- Do I believe in this brief?
- It is my right to have an idea and take that to market
- Use that right ethically and creatively
Start a new agency
- Start with a vision
- Take risks to be great
- Advertising is creativity and business overlapping
- Have principles
- Be optimistic
- “More magic, less logic.”
While I have always been optimistic about Advertising by viewing the industry as a driving force for change (when it wants to be), it was reassuring to hear this reiterated by some of ‘the greats’.
And a few things to remember from Sir John Hegarty:
- “Cynicism kills creativity.”
- “You only get better by being around better people.”
- “The greatest strategy every employed is truth.”